About Me

My photo
I'm an easy going person who likes the simple things in life. I enjoy a good laugh always. I may seem quiet, but I'm really not. Currently I attend HPU, looking forward to graduation in a year or less. I'm studying Visual Communication or Multimedia as some may know it. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm learning a lot and am open to wherever this takes me.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why Heather Can Write

This was definitely an interesting chapter. I am a Harry Potter fan, but I only say that because I've read the books 10 times each. I've never thought to go as far as creating my own fansite though. This girl seems very mature for her age (well when this happened). Children have very vivid imaginations, but to run with the idea of a newpaper from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, to never tire or bore, or never run out of events to talk about it is amazing. A world that doesn't even exist and these children are creating it.

In reading this chapter, I did start to question the depth and extremity of these writers. We as adults know it's make believe, but where is the line being drawn for some of these kids. I'm not trying to contradict what I said about the imagination of these children being amazing, but in some stories the children were bringing in actual events, real "problems." Things that we didn't necessarily hear about in the books or movies. This could easily be a tool for some children to cope with what could actually be going on in their lives, but is there a point where they could get so wrapped up that they want this world that they're helping to create be real, so real that they don't even face reality? It's just something that crossed my mind while reading the chapter...

As far as the issue with Warner Bros. I can understand where they were coming from when they were monitoring all the websites/fansites. They had to take precautions, however, they should have done their research BEFORE they started outing all these children and right of Freedom of Speech. Because in the end they made themselves look like fools. It's true that no one really knew how Harry Potter would explode into what it is today, but if anything, I would think that all these fansites and blogs would boost sales for Harry Potter memorabilia, wouldn't that be good for Warner Bros. if they bought the film rights?

No comments:

Post a Comment