About Me

My photo
I'm an easy going person who likes the simple things in life. I enjoy a good laugh always. I may seem quiet, but I'm really not. Currently I attend HPU, looking forward to graduation in a year or less. I'm studying Visual Communication or Multimedia as some may know it. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm learning a lot and am open to wherever this takes me.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Facebook Policy

So often this generation either gets overly excited, or we're just plain lazy, and we completely overlook directions, guidelines, rules, and in this case policies. And on top of this, we're quick to point fingers and put blame on individuals for our own faults, when all we had to do was read the fineprint.

If you take a look at some of the Facebook profiles of your friends, and then take a look at the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, chances are they don't match up. Some examples from this page include:

You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on Facebook.

You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission

You will not tag users or send email invitations to non-users without their consent.

I have cousins who are under age 13 with Facebook pages, but I overlooked the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, I didn't know. So many times I see individuals posting false information, false names, age and even location. How does Facebook stay on top of this, they can't really. I suppose they're really just trying to trust their users to be truthful.

The Privacy Policy states, "You own all the content and information you post, and you can control how it is shared..." While doing research I realized that so many questions and comments were so hateful towards Facebook and it's privacy policy. Complaint after complaint was about how Facebook doesn't protect their privacy, how there are loopholes because of constant changes, etc. Personally, I've never had a problem with Facebook. In an article by The New York Times, a user acknowledged how she was able to set everything on her page to private, but now due to changes, the public is able to see her picture (if one), name, gender, connections (if any) and user ID. But imagine if everyone was able to block EVERYTHING on their page and set it to private...there were be a bunch of question marks in place of the profile picture, you wouldn't know who is friend requesting you, it kind of makes this whole social networking thing boring don't you think?

Vice President for Public Policy at Facebook Elliot Schrange stated, "Our mission is for Facebook to be the best place in the world to connect and share with friends and family...nobody at Facebook wants to make our users' lives more difficult...we are not doing a good enough job communicating the changes that we are making and providing the user greater control over what and how they share appears to be too confusing for our 400 million users." I appreciate that they realize that they can do better at communicating with users, and that the feedback that they receive is not taken lightly. He also stated, "...Our fate is in the hands of the users, We're held accountable by the people who use our service. When they disagree with our decisions, they let us know..."

In reality, if you don't want something coming back to bite you...DON'T POST IT ON FACEBOOK! It's common sense people.

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?ref=pf

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/11/facebook-executive-answers-reader-questions/?hp

No comments:

Post a Comment