About Me

My photo
I'm an easy going person who likes the simple things in life. I enjoy a good laugh always. I may seem quiet, but I'm really not. Currently I attend HPU, looking forward to graduation in a year or less. I'm studying Visual Communication or Multimedia as some may know it. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm learning a lot and am open to wherever this takes me.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bradsucks

After reading the Courtney Love article, Bradsucks is doing almost exactly what she "wants" to do. His main focus and objective is to get his music out there...bottom line. He's advertising himself, making some sacrifices like giving his music away for free online, and he's getting really positive feedback via blogs, podcasts, local and college radio stations are playing his music, he's doing concerts, etc. Everything seems to be working for him and he's doing it all without worrying about copyright laws and headaches.

A question caught my attention on his webpage. First off, I noticed that he actually had albums for sale...and people were buying them! The question asked was, " Why would I buy your music if you give it away for free?" (As a side note, after reading through his webpage I noticed that he seems like a really cool, laid back person who is completely real, open and honest with his audience. As a potential consumer, I really appreciate that he seems so humble.) His response was, "Well I don't know, but people have been doing it and I hope they continue. Maybe they like a CD to hold in their hands, maybe they just want to support artists, maybe it's just flat-out pity.
I put my music online because I want people to hear it. I'd obviously love to make a living making music, but if the worst-case scenario is becoming a well-heard artist that never gets paid, I can live with that."

Something else that caught my attention was the simple fact that he encourages fans, and even has a tab on his website that showcases work that fans have done with his music. Some have made music videos, artwork, and posted lyrics. When an artist really tries, and successfully communicated with their fans I truly appreciate that. So many of these fan websites and social networking outlets with celebrity names on them don't seem legit. Do celebrities REALLY get online and chat and respond to their fans? Or do they hire someone for that job?...guess I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment