About Me

My photo
I'm an easy going person who likes the simple things in life. I enjoy a good laugh always. I may seem quiet, but I'm really not. Currently I attend HPU, looking forward to graduation in a year or less. I'm studying Visual Communication or Multimedia as some may know it. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm learning a lot and am open to wherever this takes me.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sinking Ball of Rust!


Ahhh, The Navy...a wonderful branch of military. Of course, don't say that to a Marine! I don't know what the big deal is between all the branches, each one plays a very important role. Anyways, I must say, I have a great deal of respect for men in the Navy, and specifically those on submarines. I have a few friends in the Navy, friends that I met here in Hawaii, and it wasn't until I actually knew men in the military that I actually became interested in what they do. Naturally, they can't say what it is that they exactly do...quite frustrating when they're grumpy and complaining about what a long and hard day they had at work. When you ask them, "well what did you do?" You never get the answer. 
I recently had the opportunity to tour an active submarine here in Pearl Harbor. All I can say is WOW! Talk about getting comfortable with a person, so much for personal space! I can't see how these men get any sleep! And I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when they go underway. 2 months at a time, 6 months at a time, you are completely shut off from the world, you see no sunlight, you have to talk to and see the same hundred and something guys...how can you NOT go crazy! I applaud all submariners who have to endure this kind of suffering. I say suffering because I have not heard 1 person say that they enjoy that journey. As my friend once put it, "it's hell in that sinking ball of rust!"

Thank you gentlemen, officers and sailors.

No comments:

Post a Comment